Fishtown, Philadelphia 19125 | Contact me
To utilize the web to better inform communities, employ my love of writing and leave the world just a little bit better than I found it.
- Cofounder, Technical.ly
February 2009 to present: Launched, grew, reported and edited premiere network of local technology news sites, with markets in Philadelphia, Brooklyn and Baltimore, featuring revenue growth and sales development, hiring and team building, responsive website development project management, community convening, beat coverage and frequent speaking, conference and media appearances, in addition to co-organizing inaugural region-wide Philly Tech Week event series, leading the William Penn Foundation-funded Transparencity open government project, conceiving of News Inkubator concept and submitting Cobblestone Knight News Challenge grant application.
- Director of Media and Social Marketing, Back on My Feet
January 2010 to December 2010: Developed startup nonprofit media strategy, oversaw web presence as staff doubled, involved in foundation-funding application and sponsorship sales materials. Reflections here.
- Web Editor, NEast Philly
January 2009 to May 2011: Co-developed concept for hyperlocal news site for Northeast Philadelphia, implemented basic WordPress structure, editorial strategy, led branding, offered neighborhood-specific beat coverage and maintain strategy and broad IT needs.
- Freelance Journalist, Various publications
Philadelphia, July 2008 to present: Developed client list, pitched, researched, reported and filed stories to a variety of publications including the Philadelphia Inquirer, Metro, Philadelphia magazine, CityPaper and SportsIllustrated.com. See my portfolio here and all my freelancing work here.
- Travel blogging and podcasting, WeDontSpeaktheLanguage.com
August 2008 to November 2008: Co-founded, devised strategy and led multimedia content for cheap travel blog and podcast. Reflections here.
- Post-Graduate Fellow, Pennsylvania Legislative Correspondents’ Association
June 2008 to September 2008: Reported, wrote and created audio projects for the Philadelphia Inquirer, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Allentown Morning Call and other newspapers in the State Capitol Bureau. Reflections here.
- Travel blogging and podcasting, Junior Year Abroad, NBC Universal Digital Studios
August 2006 to December 2006: Travel blogging and video podcasting while studying abroad in Tokyo, Japan. See my work here.
- Media Strategist, ChristopherWink.com
December 2007 to present: Written extensively on entrepreneurship and media strategy for organizations like Philly.com, public media organization WHYY and the proposed PPIIN among many others. Find my most popular posts here and all of my archives here.
- Honors Thesis, Two-Party Politics in Philadelphia
May 2007 to April 2008: Conceived of and completed 18-month research on a splintered Republican Party in Philadelphia.
- Editorial Assistant, Philadelphia Business Journal [Reflection]
December 2007 to May 2008: Filed regular copy for the Special Projects section.
- Reporting Intern, Philadelphia Inquirer
January 2006 to May 2006: Active contributor to city desk as intern.
- Editorial page Editor, The Temple News
May 2007 to May 2008: Led complete overhaul of section design, involved in website redesign strategy and implementation of broader outreach.
- Research Aide, The Committee of Seventy
September 2005 to February 2006: Offered research, graphic design and other support.
- LEADERSHIP Philadelphia fellow Class of 2013 core program [Reflection]
- Pen and Pencil Club board of governors member
- Journalism Club Adviser, Franklin Learning Center
February 2007 to June 2007, August 2007 to March 2008: Helped lead the formation of a respected Philadelphia magnet school’s student newspaper club. Reflection here.
- Semester Abroad, Temple University-Japan [Reflection]
August 2006 to December 2006
- Semester Abroad, University of Ghana [Reflection]
July 2005 to August 2005
- Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | Class of 2008
Political science major | magna cum laude | Academic honors here
Overall GPA: 3.7/4.0
Enthusiastically available upon request