To set up a Philadelphia City Council hearing on tech business that Technical.ly Philly organized with Councilman David Oh for Philly Tech Week, I gave a short testimony to committee.
Watch the full 90-minute hearing, including mine below. The goal was to better familiarize council with tech business. We organized something similar in Baltimore.
- In the 1990s, scalable tech companies moved to pursue investment capital. Today, companies pursue talent and investment pursues companies — this is putting new tech in urban environments.
- Satellite offices: Nutter administration has worked well with bringing in large firms to open satellite offices in Center City to serve as gateways to talent and city commerce.
- Taxes: this still is a conversation we have with entrepreneurs.
- Schools: Education is increasingly on the mind of entrepreneurs
- 5100 regional technology businesses, 500 of which in the city.
- I previewed our survey data.