I am a reporter by training, but I offer an array of services.
WRITING & EDITING
- Freelance Writing: I actively pursue opportunities to tell stories for newspapers and magazines but write for other outlets, as well. If your company needs press releases or newsletters written, if you need a partner in blogging, business proposals or industry-specific content, help with book reviews, speeches or other projects, I have the voice and the experience to deliver timely, consistent and original copy. See some highlight clips here, and all of my freelance writing here.
- Grant Writing: My experience with deadline writing and editing makes me well-suited to help your nonprofit, community group, school, university or other organization receive much needed and deserved funds from a variety of sources, including companies, foundations, individuals and other groups and funders.
- Editing: Having reported for a handful of the largest newspapers in Pennsylvania and held a leadership editing position for an award-winning college newspaper (The Temple News of Temple University in Philadelphia), I can efficiently and effectively edit for grammar, syntax, content and organization your business proposals, submissions, manuscripts, work drafts or other written texts.
- Storytelling: For a birthday, anniversary, wedding or another special event, let me tell your story. I will interview you or your family and compile a commemorative profile, just as it might appear in a newspaper or magazine. If you choose, it can be printed and framed in a variety of styles to your preference.
- Web design for Journalists: All journalists or other media professionals need to find their place online. Rather than hire expensive Web designers, I can help you organize a simple, cost-effective Web presence that will surely help you develop professionally: improving your marketability and networking capabilities. Display your best clips, your reel, or other parts of your portfolio online, hassle-free. See other examples of my work here.
- Multimedia Production: I have experience blogging, podcasting, recording and editing video and audio, in addition to graphic design and Web design and promotion. I put together quick news videos on a former president’s speaking engagement and a high-profile college basketball game. I also put together more detailed pieces, an interview I did of a Philadelphia community leader in May 2006, which I edited and a friend filmed, as you can see below.
- Audio: I have put together packages for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, KYW News Radio and Philadelphia’s NPR affiliate WHYY. See other examples here.
- Web promotion: Ditch expensive consultants and hire me to advise you in promoting your event, business, organization or work. My unique blend of writing, editing and social networking experience lends itself to a cost-effective relationship.
- Podcasting: While backpacking Europe, I travel blogged and podcasted and made regular video segments while abroad for NBC in 2006, an example of which you can see below.
- Lectures and Conferences: I have appeared on TV, radio and in person, often to speak about youth trends in voting and politics and innovation in technology and media. I have additionally addressed commencement ceremonies, student and business groups. See some examples here.
On March 13, 2009, I was a highlighted speaker at the 76th annual Pennsylvania School Press Association conference held at the Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel in State College, Pa. I gave two presentations: “Eleven Ways to Improve Your Student Publication Today” and “An Online Media Empire in a Day.” See a brief excerpt of the first below.
- English Tutoring: As expressed above, I have a great deal of experience with reading, writing and editing.
- Tour Guide: In 2007, I worked as a licensed Philadelphia horse and carriage tour guide with 76 Trolley Works. I have a deep passion, interest and knowledge set for and about Philadelphia and would be happy to work with your organization or student group to provide a fun, engaging, accurate and tailored tour.
- On-Camera Work: I have made appearances on local news, like a couple interviews I did leading up to the presidential elections in 2008 for the Philadelphia Fox affiliate.