Search engines are familiar territory, but I picked up a few lessons from the workshops that followed the panel I was on during the Google for Media event that preceded the Online News Association conference in Atlanta.
I’m sharing what I picked up here, as much for me as for you.
Advanced Google Search tricks: “just because you get a lot of results doesn’t mean they’re the best ones,” said Dan Russell
- Google launched at this event a new Media Tools resource page.
- Boolean expression “this” OR “that”
- Turkey -food -recipe (search for the country, not the food)
- Photo debunker on image search (upload image to see origins)
- Google Trends can be explored by city
- YouTube trends dashboard is a good place for story ideas
- Google+ connection on authorship
- Storyful verifying video
- Google Consumer Surveys (slight cost)
- Google transparency report
- Youtube Creators Playbook
- Put location data In google news index (google news likes this)
- Chrome sniffer (or other web inspector)
- SiteURL.com/robots.txt for discluded sites for search and include site map at the bottom