If you’ve walked into 2010 with plans on becoming, remaining or sustaining a hyperlocal news venture, there is lots you should already know and have already read.
Still, while thumbing through some links I thought were particularly important, I managed to find five stories from 2009 I think are most valuable.
- A Brief History of Hyperlocal News by Keith Hopper
- 10 new routines for a Hyperlocal news site by Nieman Journalism Lab
- Can the Grey Lady sell ads to hyperlocal businesses by Econsultancy
- Let’s build an ecosystem around hyperlocal bloggers by Jeff Jarvis for Guardian
- Ad shift throws blogs a business lifeline by New York Times
And, if I could, I might, hesitantly and humbly, also suggest folks read my “Hyperlocal news: a definition,” which argues that there is an important distinction between local and hyperlocal. Might be worth it.
What else might you add to this list?